This is it! The end of round 3! And it's time to take stock...
Well, I joined the round late, so I probably didn't get as much done as I could have if I'd started out when everyone else did. But the Row is good like that- you can just jump in whenever. And this time around, I purposely decided not to set huge, all-encompassing goals when I started, but rather to try and set them week by week (or a little longer sometimes) to see how far I could get. So how did I do?
1. I finished the rewrites on the first book of my trilogy and got it turned in two days early.
2. I finished a chapter of original fiction and got that turned in early too.
3. I am currently ahead of my deadline for rewrites for the second book in the trilogy.
4. I wrote another chapter of original work for a forthcoming book.
5. I finished some pretty significant rewrites AND an original epilogue for a serial that is going to be published as a novel. (This will require even more rewrites, but that is for another round!)
6. I signed contracts with Curiosity Quills Press for two series and a stand-alone novel, which will keep me busy well into spring 2014 (at least!) They'll be released as both e books and print editions, so that's really exciting. Also, CQ now has distribution with Barnes and Noble, so my books have nationwide channels of distribution! Woot!
What did I NOT do?
1. I didn't get to work on the novella that's a spin-off of my first trilogy. However, that was kind of a strategic decision, as it made more sense to focus on rewrites because those require me to revisit the entire series. I kind of figure this will make the spin-off easier to do, with events from the original series fresh in my mind.
So all in all, I figure it's a pretty good round. In the short break between rounds, I'm going to focus on finishing rewrites, work on that novella if I get the chance, and write a short story for an anthology I'm really excited about. The anthology shorts aren't due until November 28th, so I've got plenty of time to work on it.
That's a wrap, folks, and see you next round!